COOKS IN 1 HOUR PLUS COOLING
DIFFICULTY NOT TOO TRICKY
- 150 g unsalted butter , (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 150 g fine cornmeal
- 150 g ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Grease a 25cm round cast-iron skillet or cake tin with a little butter.
- Place the sugar in a large mixing bowl, finely grate in the lemon zest and rub together with your fingers – this will release the oils and increase the flavour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the blueberries, and mix into a smooth batter. Scrape it into the skillet or tin and spread out evenly. Scatter over the berries and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before serving. Delicious served warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream