“We like to add extra punch to this summer stew
with a dollop of vibrant salsa verde. ”
SERVES 6 AS A MAIN
COOKS IN 1 HOUR
DIFFICULTY NOT TOO TRICKY
- 2 aubergines
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 red peppers , or 1 red and 1 yellow
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 large courgettes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
- SALSA VERDE (OPTIONAL)
- 1 small handful of basil
- 1 small handful of flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small handful of coriander
- 1 small handful of mint
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Cut the aubergines into 1cm slices, then place on a baking tray and brush with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Grill for 10 to 12 minutes, till golden brown. Turn the slices over, brush with another tablespoon of oil and grill for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden.
- Peel and finely slice the onions widthways, peel and finely slice the garlic, then deseed and slice the peppers and fennel. Cut the courgettes into 1cm rounds.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften and turn golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add the peppers, fennel and courgettes, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Use a knife to score a cross into the base of each tomato. Put them in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and peel the skin.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to the pan, along with the aubergine and herbes de Provence.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so, until the vegetables are cooked through. Season to taste.
- To make the salsa verde, remove any tough herb stalks and peel the garlic, then use a pestle and mortar to grind the herbs and garlic to a paste, adding a little sea salt to help the process (or blitz in a food processor).
- Crush in the capers. Stir in the oil, finely grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice, adding more oil or juice if necessary, to create a flavour and texture you like. Season to taste.
- Serve the ratatouille in bowls with a spoonful of salsa verde.